What’s a sussie, you ask?
A sussie is a made-up word and can mean a whole lot of things. It’s something you get or do for yourself or someone you love to feel better.
Here are some examples:
- Blast some 90s music (or whatever pumps you up) and dance like a maniac around the house.
- Glitter eye-shadow. I don’t care if you’re wearing your sweats, put some on anyway!
- Read a beach fiction book. “Oh, but I have kids…” Close the door to the bathroom, say you need privacy because you’re pooping. That just got you 5 minutes. You’re welcome.
- Chocolate – this speaks for itself.
- Meditate – connect with God.
- Make silly, crazy, loud noises – by yourself or with your kids.
- Do your hair all fancy. Yes, even in your sweats at home.
- Put on your favorite dress or outfit.
- Take some time to create – art, music, write.
- Sit on your porch steps to get some fresh air, or go on a nice, long walk.
- Open up your windows and let the cold air in for a minute. Feel that cold breeze on your face!
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Sleep in.
- Smell the flowers when you walk into a grocery store.
- Let your dog on the couch just this once to cuddle with you.
- Work a puzzle.
- Play hide and seek with the kids. Get silly!
- Make a hit list of never seen before movies.
Allow your spouse or kid to dress you for a date (even if it’s a home-date). Yes, head to toe (clothes, shoes, jewelry, hair).
Do a silly photo shoot with a friend or the kids. Don’t be shy, allow yourself to be free and seen.
If this moment had a soundtrack- what song would be playing? Play it and sing along, fully.
- Make a “PUMP YOU UP” playlist and keep it on repeat.
The anxiety in our society is palpable. We got this. But we do need to be kind to ourselves and others. Get yourself a sussie. Which are your go-to sussies to add?
Hope this helps!